Thursday, March 18, 2004

I finished my second shift in the ER today. I kinda have 2 preceptors at the moment...since Mike is leaving next week, he passed me on to Raelynn (Rae) and I now have her schedule (still 7am-5pm)...sorta. Mike still had me come in today even though Rae was off. So I am not sure if he'll make me come in any other days that she's not scheduled but I am hoping not. Though for every day I come in that she's not scheduled, I just drop one of her days cuz as much fun as the ER is, I am not planning to work (for free) more than I have to! :-) Yesterday I was in the holding room of the ER which is where they send the kids who need to be monitored before a decision is made to admit them or send them home. So mostly kids with diarrhea and/or vomiting. (see, I told you the ER was fun!) It was actually quite busy there yesterday (so I was told) and it was fun because I was working with Rae and learning what needed to be done and how. I didn't do anything really exciting...except get some meds out of the pyxis...I get to scan my finger to get into the pyxis! Ok, so I found it exciting! :-) I was busy and productive and that (usually) means a good day for me. Today I guess I was kept busy but didn't feel productive at all! The best part of the day was spending a couple hours in triage where I was able to start the initial paperwork on the patients. It was kinda scary to me to be the one to interview the parent(s) and start filling out the paperwork...but I started getting the hang of it and was kinda enjoying it. But then I was moved to the back and mostly just observed the rest of the day. Saw some interesting things but mostly just the D and V that I saw yesterday...'tis the season for the rotavirus! Mike was charge nurse and basically handed me off to others so I didn't work with him too much. So I am very glad that I have been switched to Rae because she was a lot more fun to work with!

As for the NCAA tournament...like many people, I chose Florida to win today, and they lost, but unlike others I had them going pretty far (I have no idea why!) and so now my bracket is going to be pretty messed up. At least Wake Forest pulled out the win in the end. Maybe Dayton will shock everyone and go to the finals...that would really mess brackets up (including mine!) but would be kinda cool since none of my Indiana teams even made into the playoff this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home