Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Had a really good day at CMC!! Was in the Almost Home Unit but was in the short stay section which is where the kids coming in for tests are put for the day. 2 patients I had (well, helped with) were in for chemo (via a lumbar puncture) and another for an echocardiogram. I really enjoyed working with these kids because they aren't acutely sick and it's fun interacting with them. And they are adorable!! It is sad though because they are so precious and it's hard to think that they have cancer and have been going through all this for months and will continue for months. It's heartbreaking!! But like I said, I enjoyed working with them. The chemo kids have ports inserted under their skin for "easy" access. I've been taught about ports but it was interesting to finally see one in a patient. There was only 1 nurse assigned to this section and so we were quite busy because eventually the kids required a lot of attention and all at the same time. Because of this I actually felt useful!! I guess I didn't really do any exciting skill but I stayed busy doing vitals and monitoring the sedated kids. Staying busy and feeling useful makes for a wonderful clinical day! Hopefully I get to work in the same place tomorrow!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home