Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Spent the past two days in the PICU. Yesterday was a good day and though I didn't get to do anything too exciting I was able to participate in patient care. And my nurse never stopped so I was busy the whole day which made it go a lot faster. Today was pretty much the opposite. "My" patient was in pretty critical condition (liver and kidney failure) and had many interesting things to learn about (peritoneal dialysis, art line, c-line etc.) but my nurse didn't really want to teach me anything or really let me touch the patient so I really didn't have anything to do all morning. I hung around and observed what the nurse was doing but she wouldn't explain things as she went so it wasn't too helpful. It was cool to see the dialysis in the hospital after learning so much about it. I just wish I could have done more!! Today ended my time at CMC until I start preceptorship at CMC on, as of now, an unknown unit. I requested ER (or ED in most hospitals now). We have been told that we'll find out in the next couple of days our preliminary placements. Definitely anxious, nervous and excited to find out where I'll spend 5 weeks, who my preceptor is and what shift he/she works. I'll spend the next two weeks experiencing home health care. I am looking forward to seeing what it's like but don't really think I'll ever want to do that as my job.

From what I've heard about the video shown in chapel the past couple days it sounds like it was kind of a let down and wasn't all that good or pertinent. For a good take on it see my sister's comment on the previous post regarding the upcoming chapel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home