Sunday, September 05, 2004

Wow! I don't even know where to begin as I attempt to explain what the past 3 weeks have been like...some words that come to mind are: frustrating, impossible, exhausting, boring, exciting, stressful, hilarious, stupid, insane, eye-opening, exhausting, lonely, fun, challenging. I am sure I could think of more but that's good for now. It has definitely been a challenging 3 weeks...more than I ever imagined. I really considered quitting the first week and had it not been so difficult even to quit would probably have done it! I had no clue the transition from civilian life to military life would be so hard. Then add to that the fact that we get 6 hours (max) of sleep each night- getting up at 4am- and doing more physical activity then I've done all my life (yeah, I know, I am way out of shape!). Things were just very tough. As the weeks have gone by we are getting more freedoms and things are getting easier...I am sure part of it is that we're adjusting to this lifestyle but they are also letting up on us. In fact, this weekend we had on base liberty meaning we can go anywhere on base we want, for the first time since we've been here. (And we actually have Monday off!!) And Micah, Nikki and I had special permission to attend a local Baptist church so we got off base for the first time in 3 weeks too!!! Last night Nikki and I went to the Officer's Club with many other classmates but we were only there 2 hours and weren't impressed at all. Basically just a place to get get some drinks...in fact several people came back to the dorm pretty drunk. :-( Anyway, it's been hard too because of all the little rules that we just find frustrating. The first week or two we couldn't talk during our 10 minute meals, couldn't have caffeine and still can't have dessert. Our rooms have to be spotless and beds made to precision, uniforms pressed and everything pinned on perfectly (get out that ruler!) It's kinda fun wearing the uniforms cuz it makes me feel like I am really in the military but they too can be annoying...have you ever tried to eat meals wearing an all white outfit that can only be dry cleaned?!! We can only use the phones (even our cell phones) on the weekends. I guess coming from our independent lives is why it has been such a challenge...I can't imagine being married and having kids and coming to OIS...that would be even harder!! We spend most of our time now in class trying to stay awake and trying to absorb a little bit of Navy knowledge. We've already had our "final" so paying attention in class is even harder now! The first week was a lot of administration stuff which made it easier to stay awake during the days. We actually don't do that much physical training...just an hour or so at 5am and sometimes another hour in the evenings for those of us out of shape. :-) I am getting better but still have a long way to go. We have done some fun things and I am going to paste what micah wrote about those cuz he says it well so here's his version of "Buttercup" and firefighting.

Firefighting- we had lots of briefing and lectures about it and then put on all the equipment, oxygen tanks, boots, the fireproof suit, the helmet, etc... and fought fires in a dark building with fire hoses and extinguishers. It was all simulated at the firefighting school nearby. Great teamwork exercise! I agree with micah...it was fun but definitely physically exhausting. I have a lot more respect for firefighters now! And it was a little unnerving to breathe wearing the masks and tanks...guess it would be simliar to scuba diving which I've never done. Great learning experience though!

Ship Repair "Buttercup"-- this was the same kind of thing.. but the ship (simulated) was filling with water and we were to patch the holes while it was filling... up to our chests in water, using precut wood and rubber seals to patch "missle holes".. .lots of teamwork involved... quite exciting. Again, lots of fun...even more then the firefighting. I am sure this wouldn't be fun in a real situation but in this case it was fun- total chaos in a "ship" filling with water...what could be better? :-) That was a definite highlight of that week and probably even OIS.

We're down to 2 weeks and counting. Graduation is Sept. 17th and we're all counting the days. The next 2 weeks shouldn't be too bad unless we make too many mistakes or goof off and get in trouble...I am hoping people are smarter than that but after last night I am not so sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home